Sunday, November 21, 2010

How do I change Win XP Pro so I can use it entirely in Japanese (or any other language)?

What I mean is seeing Japanese characters in menu bars, icon names and Start menu items etc.



I am a native English speaker teaching myself Japanese. I want to use my computer in Japanese as I believe it will help me learn to read Japanese (it might help, I won't know until I try).



I have tried using the Language Bar and following other instructions on the Internet, including the Microsoft website, but haven't had much success. Is there some kind of program I need to have to enable Windows to do this perhaps?How do I change Win XP Pro so I can use it entirely in Japanese (or any other language)?
It is not possible. You have to buy the so called ';localized'; version of the OS where you have everything in the language of your choice. This is not only a matter of translating the words from one language to the other but of integrating them into the software. This is why Microsoft sells them as different products. As for installing such an OS on a computer which is ';native'; for the English version, I think you will run into much bigger problems than the understanding of the language (e.g. keyboard, DVD compatibility). Also the phrasing might be quite peculiar. I have done it for WinXP both in German and in French and, even though I speak perfectly both languages, I found it quite tiresome to work with. I understand your desire to be in a Japanese environment to push you to learn more but I think this is not the right way. You should go to Japanese sites (news, TV etc) and try to ';swim'; around.

For gurl:it is ';yukkuri matte kudasai'; and means please wait a littleHow do I change Win XP Pro so I can use it entirely in Japanese (or any other language)?
erm..maybe u could buy some software?

anyway..can i hav a request here? may i know what 'yukkuri mate kudasai' means?

arigato.
  • shampoo for thick hair
  • wheat germ oil
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment