Monday, November 22, 2010

I have problem with dual booting XP & Vista ?

I have a samsung 120 GB PATA IDE hard disk. I had XP Pro (NTFS) installed in my first primary partition, Suse Linux 10.2 installed in my second primary partition, which I replaced with Win Vista Ultimate (NTFS) . After installing it The Vista became active but there was no option to boot into XP. So I changed XP partition to active (which I use most) and changed the ';boot.ini'; to bring dual booting option.

I have following entries in ';boot.ini';

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partiti?br>
[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WI?Windows XP Professional'; /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(6)\WI?Windows Vista'; /noexecute=optin /fastdetect



Now it loads XP without any problem, but when I try to load Vista it says that hall.dll file is missing or corrupted. There is no way to replace that file, how can I change ';boot.ini'; of XP so that it can also load Vista without any problem.I have problem with dual booting XP %26amp; Vista ?
Vista has to be your Primary partition--It can't be your secondary partition. When you install Vista it will overwrite the Win XP boot.ini file and install Vista own boot manager. If install correctly, when you boot your PC, the manager will ask which OS you want to boot into. And for that to work you have to install Win XP first and then Vista, so that Vista will use its boot manager for both WinXP and Vista. WinXP doesn't have a boot manager that can recognize Vista.



EDIT: Yes, Vista has to be install as the primary partition (Active) and to use WinXp as your main OS, you have to change the setting in Vista. Go here : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-v

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vI have problem with dual booting XP %26amp; Vista ?
Unfortunately it wont be in the boot.ini that will change the missing dll file. i would try to boot from the vista cd and do a repair if your able to. Otherwise you might have to format that partition and just reinstall it. The boot.ini has nothing to do with a corrupt OS. Have you tried the version of Vista before? Make sure you have a clean partition and reinstall. I would not even try to edit the .ini file. It should do everything automatically.
  • sanskrit name
  • law students with cases
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment