Friday, November 19, 2010

Is there a way to change the XP activation code?

I recently formatted my hard drive and had to reinstall Windows XP. I emailed the company I bought the computer from but they didn't respond for a couple days. I used my copy of XP without activating it until it expired.



Now I have the activation code, but when I go to put it in I get a message saying its already activated. When I click ok it tells me I need to activate it. So I'm stuck in this continuous loop.



I don't know why it says its activated already, but then says it isn't. How can I get in and put my activation code so I can stop this and get my system running again? I really don't want to have to format my hard drive again.Is there a way to change the XP activation code?
its an error with the activation part of the software, i read about it....there is a hotfix on the microsoft site....i will try and find it and update......Dont reinstall windows....i will be back....! ( arnie haha)



this is one possible solution http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/Show



read the second post...by Carey Frisch

this would seem the answer to your issue.Is there a way to change the XP activation code?
You have to contact Microsoft, usually with activation errors it will give you a phone number to call in the error message. If it doesn't then your copy of XP is no longer considered valid, and you have to get a new copy.
Loading onto a second machine is likely to trigger a lockout, the activation site reads this as an attempt at setting up a pirate copy. You have de-activated your copy. Your only chance is to contact Microsoft by phone. Don't expect too much.
The only people who can really answer this question are Microsoft customer service people. Get in touch with them and tell them what's happened. they can release it for you, or help you get it legally reloaded and operating.



You can contact Customer Service by phone Monday through Friday, 8 A.M. to 10 P.M. (Eastern Time), at 1-888-218-5617.

No comments:

Post a Comment